January 15, 2018

Heart Valve Surgery

(Novemeber 2017)
 
When Romney was born a sweet nurse noticed his coloring looked off.
With a little investigation they discovered he had Pulmonary Stenosis.
So when he was just 5 days old he had open heart surgery to correct the problem.
His surgeon was an up and coming surgeon who later became world renown. 


Romney has been healthy, and has had zero symptoms of ANY heart disease.
ZERO!
But because of age, over the last few years, as a couple, we decided it was time to meet with cardiologists to get yearly check ups and make sure his heart valve was working properly.
He would get EKGs and ECHOS for monitoring.

A year ago Romney met with his Cardiologist and he said  
"I think it may be time, I'm going to send you to a surgeon to talk."

We met with a surgeon over the summer who was flabbergasted that Romney didn't feel any symptoms, have any shortness of breath, or experience any difference with the demands of his job as a firefighter.
Apparently Romneys pulmonary valve was super dilated and he had a ton of regurgitation.
It was indeed time for a new heart valve. 
The surgeon reassured us that this was the perfect time to do the surgery.
Romney was healthy, young and active.
He kept saying "this is a preventative surgery!
We want to give him a longer life when he's healthy, and not do it when the disease is so bad"
  It made sense but still, its HEART SURGERY!

We had a follow up appointment a couple of months later with the surgeon and it turned out that the preventative surgeon couldn't do the surgery because Romneys valve was TOO big to do a laparoscopic surgery. 
It would have to been open chest.

And here is the amazing blessing of all....
Romney ended back in the hands of the same surgeon who did his heart surgery 38 years ago. 
His surgeon is a pediatric heart surgeon but took on Romneys case because he was his baby so many years ago. 
We were thrilled that this man who is a pioneer heart surgeon would be working on him again.


At Romneys pre op appointment with his surgeon we just sat and visited about life.
He was so happy to see one of his babies had grown up and had a happy life.
He asked how we met, how many kids we had, what kind of work Romney does, etc...
It was a full circle for everyone. 


My mom came down from Utah to take care of the kids while I was at the hospital with Romney.
And here we are waiting and ready at 4:00am.
When they told me I needed to go back to the waiting room, I kissed Rom and told him I'd be back.


I went to the waiting room with a lump in my throat.
My husband was going in for open heart surgery.
Why were we doing this?
He feels fine!
Then I saw these pictures hanging up and my heart was instantly calm.
He is aware of us.
He will be present.
He is in charge.
He provides miracles.


So I sat down in my chair and waited. 
Within an hour my mother in law and Romneys fire captain and engineer were there to sit with me.
Mama E worked on a cross stitch that she started 38 years ago when Romney was in his first surgery.
(full circle for her as well)

The four of us sat for HOURS while we would get updates on the big screen.
I really appreciated the company and the distractions.
I appreciated that Roms captain ran to get us breakfast.
It was only 8am and I was starving.
 


After 5 hours we got word that Romney was out of surgery
and that we could meet with the doctor.
My mother in law cried when she was reunited with the man that saved her baby 38 years ago.
I listened to his humble voice tell us that everything went great, that the new valve went right in and is working already.
 He told me I could see him soon.

I knew Romney was having surgery, but I WAS NOT prepared to see him hooked up to so many things and to see him in so much pain.
I gasped and took a deep breath and watched the nurses try to get his pain under control.
I walked out of the room and cried a few tears to go update his mom and his fire friends. 

It is very strange to see someone who is so strong and can do anything,
 be so weak and be in so much pain. 
I hated it. 
There was nothing I could do for him.
Sooooo I just sat next to his bed so when he woke up from all his cat naps 
he would see I was there with him. 


 He was in the hospital a total of three days.
That is nothing.
I was freaking out.
How can someone have open heart surgery and then go home after 3 days???
But, he was up walking and eating.


They gave him a heart pillow which would become his best friend over the next 4 weeks and wheeled him out to the car...
I was so nervous.
I know nothing about the heart.
How am I supposed to help him?


We got outside and once again I saw this statue and was at peace again.
I love this hospital.



Once we got home, both kids were so eager to help serve their dad.
They were super careful around him.
They knew to be soft and quiet.
Miles job was to make sure daddy does his breathing exercises and to count to 10 three times.



5 days after surgery Romney started walking up to the stop sign.
The more you walk, the faster you heal.


And one full week after surgery we were back in the surgeons office for a post op appointment.
Everything was looking good.
The Dr. was happy with his progress and made sure Romney was doing his breathing exercises and had started walking.
Questions were answered and hugs were exchanged.
We know Dr. B is close to retiring but we are so grateful we got to have him one more time.


One week post op:

` still doesn't eat a lot
`He cannot lift his arms very high
`He can't shower himself
`He needs someone to adjust his pillow, get his blankets, and needs help getting in and out of the recliner
`He only sleeps in the recliner
`He can't lay flat-it hurts him too much
`Still using pain meds around the clock


Here's to seven more weeks of recovery!



No comments: